Inspired by the picture on the far left, my daughter and I decided to make our own dollhouse. We went to Ikea and purchased one of those bookshelves divided into four sections. We were going to make a sloping rooftop out of stickers, as was done in the original picture, but it didn't fit on the wall properly. We had no space on either side of the bookshelf, so we created a 'Mary Poppins Umbrella Rooftop' instead.
We had an old piece of thin board from the back of an old bookshelf, so we cut it to the height of the new bookshelf. It then slipped down in between the shelf and the wall for the purpose of creating the back walls of the house as this shelf from Ikea has no back on it. We then picked out four different shades of patterned paper to place on the back board. Aqua for the bathroom, pink for the kitchen (only in a dollhouse), lavender for the bedroom and yellow for the lounge room.
Next step was to find furniture. We looked online and in the local toy stores, but everything seemed so expensive and it was all mostly pink. We stumbled across some cut-out furniture by mistake when I was looking for something else in the Reject Shop. We bought three packages (bathroom, bedroom and lounge room) for $2 each! For a total of $6 the beginnings of the furniture was purchased!
This turned out to be a great choice, as we built the furniture together and my daughter got to choose what colour each piece was going to be spray painted.
Now the furniture was in, but the house was looking a bit bare. Time to find some furnishings, do some sewing and decorate!
We printed some of out own photographs and designs and framed them with a few frames from Lincraft, picked up a mini tea-set at the markets and sewed a lounge room rug from bits of materials and rickrack along the edges to finish it off.
Finishing touches were made by making some curtains for the kitchen window, some matching towels, bath mat and washers for the bathroom. The towel rail was made from two old wooden buttons and a paddle pop stick.
Then it was time for a family of kangaroos to move in to their new home and the imaginative play started to happen!
The rooms are complete, the dollhouse is finished. Time to sit by the fire and enjoy a cup of tea. The side table was made from an old plastic panadol lid turned upside down with a hole in the top to poke a bunch of material flowers from Lincraft through and then covered with a small piece of fabric for the table cloth. The fireplace was found on ebay and I then painted it in white and glued a printed fire image behind it. The plate from the tea-set, was hung up in the bathroom as a mirror with some aluminium foil for some shimmer.
The best part about this dollhouse is, that my daughter and I were able to gradually build it together. We got to cut out and glue together and talk about how we would make the different items in the four rooms. And even better, I think will be that when she and her brother out grow playing with it, I won't have a big dollhouse to dispose of. It will simply be cleared and used as a bookshelf (as we never grow out of those).
This post was featured on craftgawker